Easter eggs

It's no secret that there is one author who I've been most inspired by: Chuck Palahniuk. In every one of his novels he includes a reference to the color "cornflower blue" and Missoula, Montana.

Well, I've written some stories and then one complete novel. And I noticed there are some things that I've repeated in Autopilot from my original stories. Some were techniques or descriptions that I considered a little nod to anyone who read my first book. Others might become "easter eggs"--little things that will appear in everything I write.

Here's what I've found so far:
  • refined white flour
  • "U-S-A! U-S-A!"
  • pregnancy tests
  • arabica beans
  • barbecued ribs
  • someone alone in a rowboat
And the one that I think stands the best chance of being my #1 easter egg: beige berber carpet.